If you haven’t heard of Cheerwine, then you obviously are not from the South or you aren’t blessed with having a Southern loved one. I got lucky and married into a huge family with many traditions. And, this Christmas we were given the gift of Cheerwine from my father-in-law and I had to share it. That’s how this Cheerwine Cake from Scratch happened in my kitchen.
We invited my sister-in-law and her fiancé to come over and play video games, giving me the perfect opportunity to showcase her and my husband’s childhood memory in cake form. I had researched recipes all day and almost gave in to adding a can to a boxed mix, but instead I remembered a recipe I made last year with bourbon and chocolate, and so I carried on in similar fashion.
I separated the recipe into one larger loaf pan and my favorite heart-shaped cake tin. Each would serve 8-10 people.
Cheerwine Cake with a Sour Cherry Glaze Recipe
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1¼ Cups White Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ Cup Unsweetened Baking Cocoa
- ¾ Can Cheerwine
- ½ Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Sticks Softened Butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together dry ingredients
- In separate bowl mix Cheerwine, buttermilk, eggs and butter
- Gradually mix in wet ingredients
- Bake for 35 minutes
- Slowly pour the rest of the can of Cheerwine over the cake to soak
- Let cool and top with Sour Cherry Glaze
- 1 Can Pitted Sour Cherries
- ½ Can Cheerwine
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- ¼ Cup Powdered Sugar
- Add ingredients to saucepan and bring to boil, stirring
- Remove from heat
Also, here’s a link to find Cheerwine near you or buy online!